Wednesday, December 3, 2014

In the Girls' Room/Playroom

I have been itching for  project lately and have wanted to have a go at putting my own style on the girls bedroom--which also serves as everyone's playroom--since we first saw the house.  It's a lovely room and I couldn't have wished for anything closer to the dreams I had in my head of what our home here might look like.  

These photos are of what it looks like now (the previous owners also had a little girl) and though Logan is all about rocking the hot pink I would like to make it a bit more neutral and traditional.


And, with the "traditional" in mind, I knew I wanted the girls to have white iron beds with ruffly cream bedding.  We have had to furnish the house ourselves and have been so lucky to find some real affordable gems on gumtree (uk craigslist) and in charity shops.  I found the bedding at TK Maxx- nope not a typo, it is totally owned by TJ Maxx so I have no idea why they changed the one letter! Either way, I'm quite happy the UK has one.


I'm not a huge fan of the red/pink tiles on the fireplace or the red carpet, but some things you can't change when renting and others you have to choose what is worth spending money on.  But, I do have an idea for the fireplace that I'm dying to bring into reality ;)


The coffee table turned toy chest was also a gumtree find.  It is super heavy and sturdy and works perfectly for my OCD tendencies toward toy organization.  Each drawer pulls out in either direction and has a divider in the middle, making for 10 individual cubbies.  Unfortunately, the handles keep coming off so I'll need to replace them at some point.


Here is what I would love to do to the room:  

  • muted mauve to replace the hot pink
  • light gray stripes above the chair rail
  • neutral rug
  • gilded gold frames filled with children's art over the fireplace
  • red tiles covered up with a board of painted plywood and heavy velvet curtains hung across to make a faux theatre stage where the children can give rockstar concerts or costumed plays.




2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it's pretty cute as is! Good thing you had girls though! So your landlords will let you paint? I've gone with all stick-ons...I'm pretty sure I could paint without much complaint, but our house is so outdated I can't even be bothered - lol! You take beautiful pictures Leah!

    ReplyDelete