Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Autumn Holiday, Part I: Coventry, England

backdate 10 October 2014


I have to say that Coventry itself didn't charm me but, that is not to say that even the least picturesque towns don't have their hidden gems.  Jonathan had a work conference to attend in nearby Nuneaton and I am always eager to hunt out a list of things to see and do whenever we are somewhere new.  Coombe Country Park looked a quite promising diversion for the children and I while we waited out our Mr.'s absence.   And, it was actually quite wonderful.


The grounds were everything a feminine anglophile would hope for and in-between the whining laments of "I'm so tired," "We've been walking for hours," and "I'm so thirsty" (you would think we were wandering the Sahara rather than riverside paths and golden meadows) I was determined to drag them all onward as Maryanne Dashwood dragged sister Margaret through the wind and rain!




I love that we captured this duck in mid flight- it's absolutely comical.



It was a glorious day and once we finally made it to the playground the children remembered it happily as well.  I've said it before but the UK has such great playgrounds!  And the fact that these lovely estates understand that many visitors are adults and adults are often parents and parents by default have children in tow is just brilliant.  Ideally, I would love to soak in these kind of places in solitude but, that's not possible right now!  So, at least I can bribe my children through the experience with the promise of slides and swings and merry-go-rounds.  Here is an example of some of the fun these playgrounds have to offer-



No comments:

Post a Comment